Binary packages not rebuilding against updated libraries

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Apr 26 01:16:37 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-26 00:11, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Apr 24 09:31:04, ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com wrote:
>> Portfile authors need to manually "revbump"
>> the library's dependent ports when
>> supporting libraries change significantly.
>> It's not automatically figured out by MacPorts.
>
> Wait, what? I'm still relatively new to MP
> and this seems a bit weird.
>
> "Port A depends on library B. The port of library B has
> just been rebuilt/upgraded. So port A needs to be rebuilt
> as well now, if only to record the new dependency."

An update to port B cannot cause a new dependency in port A.

> MP does not have that?
Port A only has to be rebuilt if the compatibility version of port B
changes in a way that makes it incompatible with the previous version
(basically increasing soname on other systems). This is quite seldom.

If port B was updated and the compatibility version changed, the
automatic run of 'port rev-upgrade' after the installation will detect
that a binary/library of port A has broken linkage. It will then rebuild
port A from source, ensuring you have a working installation locally.

To produce new packages, the revision of port A has to be increased.

Rainer