Python port best-practice?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 26 15:34:58 UTC 2018

On Apr 26, 2018, at 10:15, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2018-4-27 01:07 , Renee Otten wrote:
>> I am looking at updating some (nonmaintained) python ports and have two questions for now:
>>
>> 1. if a project releases both on GitHub and PyPI is there a preference for using one over the other in Portfiles?
>
> Not really. I would tend towards PyPI just because it makes the code a
> little more straightforward. Livecheck and so on should work fine with
> either though.

Most ports that I've seen seem to use pypi in that case. I see many ports that fetch from pypi and set a homepage to a GitHub URL. Usually when a project is hosted on GitHub you want to use the github portgroup, but its primary purpose is to assist in fetching and extracting, and if the project fetches from pypi, then the github portgroup's functionality is mostly not needed.

>> 2. is there a MacPorts policy regarding subports (e.g., add subports for all Python versions that have not reached their end-of-life, provided of course that the package works on all of them)?
>
> No formal policy, but the intersection of what the module works with and
> what is not EOL is reasonable.

At this time, I probably wouldn't use older versions than 2.7 or 3.5. We have been phasing 3.3 and 3.4 modules out.