Where did git put my files?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 27 01:46:31 UTC 2018

I was dealing with this PR: https://github.com/macports/macports-base/pull/81. So I edited a source file, ran configure, make, make install, and make test. I also used git add and git commit --amend to add my changes to the previously-made commit, and git push --force to update the PR. The dist dir should only be removed by make distclean, and I didn't run that, and I don't think any of the other makefile targets run that.

> The second question is, is the .gitignore file itself versioned? If so, and dist is not ignored on the other branch, then when you saved the other branch, you saved the dist directory. In this case, it will be saved in the other branch and removed when you check out the new/original work branch.

.gitignore is versioned and contains /dist/, everywhere; this has not changed lately. dist is not and should not be committed.