Open Letter of Apology

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Apr 28 10:10:21 UTC 2018

Hello Marcus,

On 2018-04-28 01:33, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:
> Recently, I made some major changes to the cargo PortGroup and the Portfiles of several people.
> My intent was:
> 	*) create a branch
> 	*) solicit feedback on the branch with the changes
>
> Instead, I pushed the changes to master.
> It was very careless of me, and I sincerely apologize to all those I have inconvenienced.

I am sorry that my initial reaction to the changes was this harsh.
I also want to apologize for that. Mistakes happen and it is okay that
they happen. I also work on MacPorts because I learn a lot by doing so
and it should be the same for others. Mistakes are part of every
learning process.

I appreciate that you are working on better support for cargo. I know
that the port group that I wrote was probably not able to handle all use
cases. However, I am also proud that the port group allows to write
Portfiles that are simple and elegant.

I agree with some of the changes you made without a doubt and they can
and should be applied. None of these should require changes in ports, so
they are all good to go:

* additional explanations in comments
* ensuring all builds use the right compiler
* set extract.only to all non-crates
* remove unnecessary if clause

I made a pull request out if these and if you approve (since they carry
you as author), they can be merged right away:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1680

Rainer