Gsoc 18 Project | Collect build statistics

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Apr 29 07:51:47 UTC 2018

On 29 April 2018 at 08:29, Jackson Isaac wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 7:36 AM, Vishnu wrote:
>> Hey
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>> Now it works.
>> I dont know why it was not working earlier.
>>
>> And jackson . I ran both the commands.
>> root at vishnupc:/# /opt/local/bin/port-tclsh /opt/local/libexec/mpstats show
>> Would submit the following data to
>> http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/submissions:
>> {
>>   "id": "cc545acb-3f3b-4a93-afbd-8a72ef5e50b9",
>>   "os": {
>>     "macports_version": "2.4.99",
>>     "osx_version": "",
>>     "os_arch": "i386",
>>     "os_platform": "linux",
>>     "build_arch": "",
>>     "gcc_version": "5.4.0",
>>     "xcode_version": "none"
>>   },
>>   "active_ports": [
>>     {"name": "ncurses", "version": "6.1_0"},
>>     {"name": "libedit", "version": "20170329-3.1_2"},
>>     {"name": "mpstats", "version": "0.1.7_0", "requested": "true"}
>>   ],
>>   "inactive_ports": []
>> }
>> root at vishnupc:/# /opt/local/bin/port-tclsh /opt/local/libexec/mpstats submit
>> Submitting data to http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/submissions ...
>> Success.

Great, that's good news.

You might want to make sure that /opt/local/bin stays in your PATH (by
modifying ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile or whatever file is used to set
the environment).

> That's great :) But looks like the mpstats page [1] didn't add Linux
> to the statistics.
>
> This is most likely due to the reason that mpstats only checks for mac
> OS version ?
> Try to find a way to read Linux version if the installed os is not darwin based.
>
> Though 'os_platform' does say 'linux'. Probably the statistics code
> [2] doesn't recognize
> linux as a platform ?

In my view the main point of this "exercise" was to:
- make sure that Vishnu is able to play with statistics submission and
also submit to his server
- prepare the necessary tools in case he wants to modify mpstats in
some way in the future

Trying to debug why the old statistics page doesn't recognise the
submission is beyond the scope of this exercise in my opinion and
solving it won't really help anyone. Trying to implement the
functionality of adding version detection to linux in base is also
hopeless since each OS will have a different versioning scheme.

In fact what I wanted to ask was whether it makes sense to file a
ticket to report the correct architecture (x86_64 in this case, I
guess), but again not expecting Vishnu to do it.

What could be a nice exercise though is to modify the Portfile and
mpstats itself to fake both osx_version (let's say 10.15 :) and
build_arch and try to submit again. But ... if it works, it works. If
it doesn't work, I would simply ignore it. But that could just as well
be any other task of changing mpstats in some minor way. Just to get
familiar a bit with port editing & upgrade process. The process is
hopefully described in the macports guide (which might be worth
reading or at least glimpsing through anyway,
https://guide.macports.org).

I would say that the next most reasonable step (apart from any other
thing from the list I sent in the beginning) would be to create a
repository and put all the documentation / plan / milestones / sample
page etc. to that repository.
This means:
- deciding for the name
- asking someone with permission to create a repository inside
macports org (and make sure that Vishnu has commit rights on that
repository)
- deciding how exactly this should be done

I suggest to do most of development in a separate development branch
and make sure that whatever ends up in master gets a review. Or
something similar. We need a way to distinguish reviewed code from
playground.

Mojca