squash and merge, license documentation, "size" documentation

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Aug 17 13:44:47 UTC 2018

As many of you are aware, I merge a significant fraction of the pull
requests these days. A few requests to make it easier, these three
things on their own represent a surprising fraction of the
communication I need to have with contributors:

1. We have squash and merge disabled. This means that I often have to
coach people through doing the squash on their own. If we enabled
that, often it would not be necessary because I could do it for them.
Is there a good reason we have that disabled?

2. The guide has poor documentation on what license strings are
acceptable, and port lint doesn't check that the license string is
an acceptable string. If these were fixed, it would be much easier to
direct people to the correct license string etc.

3. There's no real documentation of the "size" parameter to
checksums, and I'm constantly asking people to add the size. Note
that I don't think "size" is a reasonable thing to require given that
finding two files of the same size with the same SHA-2 hash is
probably worth a doctoral dissertation at this point, but if we are
going to require it (why do we require it?), it should be documented,
and port lint should complain that it isn't there, and doing
port -v checksums should spit it out if it isn't there.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com