squash and merge, license documentation, "size" documentation

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 18 05:10:16 UTC 2018

On Aug 17, 2018, at 15:06, Clemens Lang wrote:

> I think the idea of the size keyword is to start to use it to display
> download progress bars for servers that do not send a Content-Length
> HTTP header (or do not have an equivalent of such a header due to the
> used protocol). This is currently not implemented.

I looked into implementing it once, but it seemed like there was a great distance between the place where the checksum data was available and the place where the curl progress bar was being shown; I could not immediately imagine how the size information should be propagated between those two places. (For example, should an expected_size parameter be added to each of several function calls along the way?)

> 'port -v checksums' does generate the size field in newer versions of
> MacPorts. Until such a version becomes the released default, I think
> it's fine not to require adding it in PRs.

It was released in MacPorts 2.4.4.