macports challenges

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:28:00 UTC 2018

I'm glad to see some constructive discussion. After I sent the email, I
was quite worried of the negative tone, and that it might be perceived
as trolling. Sorry if that is true; it was not my attention.

On 12/6/18 01:13, Nils Breunese wrote:
> Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Somehow the Homebrew community managed to get their ubiquitous marketing
>> on almost every software project website. Compare this with the MacPorts
>> website, which has not seen any redesign in more than 10 years...
>>
>> Although a good package management system should not need to advertise
>> itself, as every software would be available without users being told
>> where to look – the package manager should be their first choice.
>
> But you need to know about this package manager first then. And be
> convinced into installing and using it. I found out about the existence
> of package managers on Mac (I guess it was Fink for me at the time)
> through installation instructions for some tool I wanted to install.
>
> When I started to maintain some packages for MacPorts I also made an
> effort to do pull requests for the install docs to add instructions for
> installing via MacPorts (for instance [0]). I think this is very
> important PR for a package manager, apart from its own website.
>
> For instance, yesterday I wanted to try out Hugo. It’s available in
> MacPorts, but the Hugo site only mentions Homebrew, binary download and
> building from source as installation options [1]. I think it might pay
> off if maintainers would pay more attention to this.

This is a great idea. When a new port is added, the maintainer (or
requester) should be encouraged to facilitate docs/instructions/notes
upstream that the software is available in macports. (I wouldn't make it
a requirement -- requirements can be perceived as draconian and keep
people away.) Is there a place in the guide or wiki to say this? Maybe
chapter 4 of the guide, "Portfile Development"?

I'll work on retroactively doing this for the ports for which I am
maintainer.