about the PyQt5 port (py-pyqt5) and .sip file install locations

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 21:25:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

I've been tinkering a bit with the py-pyqt5 port, among others to verify that Riverbank are right when they claim that you should always aim to install the latest PyQt5 version regardless of what Qt (5) version you are using.

That appears to be true down to at least Qt 5.9 .

I realised something else. The py??-pyqt5 subports each install a whole series of .sip files into $prefix/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/X.Y/share/sip/PyQt5; these directories are rigorously identical.

It would make sense to configure PyQt5 with --no-sip-files and install ${worksrcpath}/sip/Qt* into a standard shared location (PyQt5 under $prefix/share/sip) via a common subport dependency; the py-pyqt5 "main" port would be a perfect candidate.

The sip directories in the Python framework aren't big but it's clutter that also makes access to those .sip files needlessly complicated.

I'm posting this here and not as a trac ticket because I'm not certain to what extent the proposed change will affect other ports, nor whether there are other ports that install .sip files into $prefix/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/X.Y/share/sip .

R.