muniversal port group

David Strubbe dstrubbe at macports.org
Fri Feb 9 19:14:47 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I have a question about the muniversal port group, motivated by examining
what happens with its usage in the fftw-3 port. If the +universal variant
is selected, then appropriate values of configure.args are set for
different architectures via merger_configure_args, which in the case of
fftw-3 includes flags about whether support for certain vector intrinsics
like SSE2 and AVX will be compiled. However, if +universal is not selected,
then these flags are simply not used, rather than selecting the appropriate
flag for the single architecture we are building for. As a result,
currently in fftw-3, we are only enabling appropriate intrinsics for the
architecture when doing +universal, and otherwise we have no intrinsics
support.

How is this supposed to work with the muniversal port group? Are flags
needed when not +universal not expected to be set in this merger array? Is
this a limitation of the port group that should be extended? Is there some
option to set in the port group which I have missed?

Thanks,
David