GSoC 2018 Project: Improve startupitem code

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Feb 14 14:45:17 UTC 2018

On 2018-2-14 22:11 , Umesh Singla wrote:
> For any discussions on this project, we can follow this thread. I am
> cc'ing dev list if anyone has any question or idea or extension to it.
>
>     > The first thing I would like you to do is to go through our current list of projects on Trac [0].
>     >
>     > Try adding/updating the descriptions for your projects or let me know. Remove anything which is outdated. As you probably know, you can also propose a new idea.
>     >
>     > Also, is there any project which you would like me to move up on the list? Currently, there are two projects on the list, "Improve startupitem code" and "Generating Portfiles" listing you as a potential mentor.
>

>     I’d love to see the startup item code more closely mirror the
>     capabilities of launchd :)
>
>     It would be able great to write some short hand in a portfile that
>     builds an xml launchd plist.
>

> That's good to know. I've moved this project up the list.

Just a heads-up, I have been reviewing all the tickets about
startupitems recently (after having ideas percolate for a long time) and
have just started committing code. I may close most or all of the
existing tickets in the not too distant future.

No doubt there is still more that could be done; just be aware this work
is happening when planning any potential GSoC project.

- Josh