GSoC 2018 Project: Improve startupitem code

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Feb 15 23:00:24 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-15 20:22, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2018-2-16 06:02 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

>>> This is <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44295>.
>>
>> Is this one of the issues you are closing?
>
> I have an approach in mind.

>>> Installing into ~ is problematic in general. I don't think it's really
>>> needed; per-user stuff can live in /Library/LaunchAgents.
>>
>> Of course, thanks for the point.
>>
>> So we might have “startupitem.directory /Library/LaunchDaemons”, the default, but can be set to “startupitem.directory /Library/LaunchAgents”?

I think we should stick to our terminology of path vs. directory. A path
is an absolute location in the filesystem, a directory is relative to
some path. For example, ${worksrcpath} is the absolute path where
configure/build/etc. are executed in, while ${worksrcdir} are just the
last components relative to ${workpath}.

Rainer