[macports-ports] branch master updated: Rebuild port with boost 1.66.0

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 19 04:31:42 UTC 2018

On 17 February 2018 at 16:10, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 17 February 2018 at 13:00, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 17, 2018, at 14:37, Giovanni Bussi wrote:
>>
>>> Eitan Adler (grimreaper) pushed a commit to branch master
>>> in repository macports-ports.
>>>

>>> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/9b747847c18a6cea577b9849e6063d1f3d8bbec3
>>>
>>> The following commit(s) were added to refs/heads/master by this push:
>>>
>>>     new 9b74784  Rebuild port with boost 1.66.0
>>>
>>> 9b74784 is described below
>>>

>>> commit 9b747847c18a6cea577b9849e6063d1f3d8bbec3
>>>
>>> Author: Giovanni Bussi
>>> AuthorDate: Fri Feb 16 18:29:23 2018 +0100
>>>

>>>    Rebuild port with boost 1.66.0
>>
>> Please put the name of the port and a colon as the first thing in the commit message, i.e. "plumed: rebuild plumed-devel with boost 1.66.0"
>
> Will do next time.
>
>> This is a confusing commit.
>
> Agreed. I had the same confusion if you look at the PR.

Now that I've located and looked at the PR, I see that.

But I don't see a link to the PR in the commit email. Am I missing it or is it just not there? I don't even see any indication in the email that the commit originated from a PR, except I guess for the fact that I see that the Author is a different person than the committer.

I dislike this. A commit that closes a ticket clearly gives me the ticket URL that I can click to learn more. I wish the same information was provided when the commit relates to a PR instead of a ticket.

> One thing that
> may have made it less confusing is to modify the commit message rather
> than merge from the web.

Yes, the person merging a pull request is responsible for making sure the PR conforms to our requirements before merging it, either by asking the original author to do so or by doing it themselves. (The same applies to committing patches submitted in tickets, of course.)