Search for a MacPorts Mascot: looking for talented artists

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Feb 22 11:24:07 UTC 2018

On 22 February 2018 at 06:45, Helmut K. C. Tessarek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2018-02-21 11:32, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> Do we have any artists around to draw one? Any thoughts? (We could
>> probably come up with some small awards.)
>
> I know a few graphic designers who might be interested.
>
> Let me know, if there's a certain direction you want to go, or if they
> should start from scratch.

We basically have two completely different things to solve:
a) drawing
b) the real plush thing

I mean: I really like the penguin itself for example, but I don't
remember seing any really nice plush implementation of it, most of
them are quite strange.

We could in principle also start from some easy-to-get really cute
existing toy that we could then buy in bigger quantities whenever
necessary, and get a nice drawing of it. Getting a toy made after the
selected drawing would be quite a project in any case.

I do like cheerful animals like this one linked earlier:
    https://github.com/PureDarwin/Hexley
    http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Hexley
I think it was Clemens who at some point suggested a flying platypus
(to stay within the scope of the species used for Darwin).

(I started wondering if we couldn't perhaps ask the same artist to
make a proposal.)

If we do go with port crane, then the "McCrane" proposal in the spirit
of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_McQueen could also look
nice :) But then we would definitely need a 3D version of the
character :) :) :).

In the spirit of plays around "Port" there's another relevant wikipedia article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_wine
But it would not be too tasty to use that given our history with
certain other projects :) :) :)

I hope others will chime in with their own thoughts, but basically we
probably don't have any strict ideas or restrictions about the mascot.

Mojca