Java port maintainers: What should be installed on the buildbot workers?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 24 22:49:39 UTC 2018

On Feb 24, 2018, at 06:17, Aaron Madlon-Kay wrote:

>> Oracle Java 7 and 8 are compatible with Lion and later.
>
> Java 8 requires Mountain Lion:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/certconfig-2095354.html

Huh. The system requirements linked from the download page say "Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.7.3 (Lion) or later."

https://www.java.com/en/download/mac_sysreq-sm.jsp

The Mac FAQ says the same:

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml#sysreq

If the latest version does not work on 10.7 anymore, then maybe an older version can be found that does.

The Mac FAQ also says "If installing an older version of Java is absolutely required, you must first uninstall the current version"; from this I assumed that simultaneous installation of multiple versions is not possible.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml#newerver

According to this page, "When you install the JRE, you can install only one JRE on your system at a time."

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/install/installation-jdk-and-jre-macos.htm#JSJIG-GUID-E8A251B6-D9A9-4276-ABC8-CC0DAD62EA33

Apparently Java 9 exists. It is mentioned on oracle.com but not on java.com. I don't know if I should be attempting to install 8 or 9.