Java port maintainers: What should be installed on the buildbot workers?

Aaron Madlon-Kay aaron+macports at madlon-kay.com
Mon Feb 26 08:04:34 UTC 2018

> Do you think there is any value to installing Apple Java 6 first, then
installing Oracle Java 8, so that both JDKs are there? I'm just thinking of
ancient ports that might be hardcoded to look for the old version that used
to be bundled with macOS.

The order of installation doesn't really matter, but I think we might as
well install Java 6, 7, AND 8, as any given project may require any to
build. (And if we're going that far, we should have 9 as well but make 8
the default as below.)

To clarify my previous suggestions, I think the java portgroup should have
a required_java_version property (default=1.8) that would be used to set
JAVA_HOME via /usr/libexec/java_home -f -v ${required_java_version} and
fail the operation if unavailable.

-Aaron