[macports-ports] branch master updated: cpan2port: fetch from github, use perl5.26

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 28 16:17:09 UTC 2018

On Feb 28, 2018, at 09:43, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 28 February 2018 at 16:23, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Feb 28, 2018, at 08:13, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>> It's pretty crappy that we have to fetch the entire contrib repository just to get one of its subdirectories. I guess contrib is still pretty small so it's not a huge problem yet.
>
> I could not agree more, but I saw no easy and sane way to do it
> otherwise. I could perhaps fetch these two files separately:
>    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/macports/macports-contrib/4207b227800b8ce6ba7db02641a1b1a66b3218de/cpan2port/cpan2port
>    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/macports/macports-contrib/4207b227800b8ce6ba7db02641a1b1a66b3218de/cpan2port/COPYING
> even though this solution does not really scale well.

Agreed.

>> But if this is how we're going to handle it, let's at least use "dist_subdir macports-contrib" so that all the ports for contrib software fetch to the same place, and there's at least a chance that two contrib ports might use the same git committish and thus the same distfile.
>
> Let me know if you have a better idea, else I'll indeed fetch to
> macports-contrib.

That's fine for now.

>>> -# TODO: check the latest svn revision of the file
>>> +# TODO: check the latest revision of the file
>>> livecheck.type      none
>>
>> The livecheck would be fixed by removing this line, and using the full git committish.
>
> I guess it would not. In my experience one simply gets alphabetic
> comparison of shasums which is pretty useless. I didn't test it here.

It's less useless than no livecheck. It tells you if a newer commit occurred. If that's not good enough, any improvement to the livecheck should occur in the github portgroup.

> I guess that many of the problems that surfaced in this commit (I
> would have updated the port much earlier and didn't do it exactly for
> the numerous "problems" and questions which bothered me) would vanish
> if we created a standalone repository for cpan2port and made proper
> versioned tags for it etc.

Yeah I guess that's the way git wants us to do it. If we want to do that, I'm sure we can get the history of cpan2port into a separate repository. Other contrib projects could follow as needed.