libressl vs openssl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 11 13:13:15 UTC 2018

On Jan 10, 2018, at 06:33, Jan Stary wrote:

> what is the strategy with the libressl port as opposed to libressl-devel?
> Currently, libressl is 2.5.5 and libressl-devel is 2.6.2.
>
> I don't think upstream even considers "devel" releases in any sense,
> a release is a release. Is there anything else from the port's view
> that makes one of them "stable" and the other one "devel",
> or is it just a name for previous and latest?

A -devel port is a place where a port maintainer can try things out before making them available to the larger audience that uses the stable port. Those things might include a newer version of the software, different configure or build flags, a different build system, or anything else. I'm not sure what Jeremy's specific strategy is with the libressl-devel port, but at the moment it seems to be just a newer version with no other changes.

The request to update the libressl port to a newer version is here:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55264