libressl vs openssl

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 13:19:39 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:45 PM, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
> On Jan 09 12:24:22, perry at piermont.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 18:47:14 +0100 Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
>> > Hi Jeremy,

>> > It would be very nice if all ports currently depending on openssl
>> > would build against libressl, and we could get rid of openssl
>> > in favor of the way-superior libressl (until Apple replaces
>> > it system wide. ha ha ha.)
>>
>> I'm not sure I agree with the claim that libressl is necessarily better.
>
> Please read and see the following to convince yourself that
> it is desirable to replace OpenSSL with LibreSSL if at all possible.

Speaking as a port maintainer (who has to go update his port sometime)
upstream should be the ones doing as much as possible, and we should not
have to patch that much.

OpenSSL has dramatically improved their code quality over the past few
years.

--
"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains".
--Rousseau