Re: Python 2.7 – allow another db version beside 4.8

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 16:55:18 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-11, at 12:28 AM, Jan Stary wrote:

> Does anyone now? If my port requires (say) python (any python),
> what is the right way to say that? (In some cases, having
> /usr/bin/python is just fine.)

MacPorts tries to undertake the principle of reproducible builds <https://reproducible-builds.org/>.

A port is built as much as possible the same way on every system and issues are more easily debugged. Specifying a fully determined version of python or perl helps to remove the issue of different versions building the software differently.

In the main, port submissions are required to have a fully spec'd version of python or perl for this reason -- a version that is verified to work correctly, and consistent across all builds. If you were managing a system of 20,000 ports and users of all different skill levels, you would eventually come to the same conclusion.

In simple cases, it might be allowed to slide.