Allowing PortGroups to bump port revision

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 01:21:17 UTC 2018

On Friday January 12 2018 15:30:50 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> It occurred to me that it would be nice if we could update the PortGroup when one of the dependencies changed their dylib id rather than revbumping all ports.  Is this something anyone else has considered?

I don't think I really understand what you mean, could you give an example?

If you mean something akin to setting the `version` in a PortGroup, this doesn't always work reliably. I have such a PG and it seems there are always some ports that don't show up in `port outdated` after I bump the version (presumably because PortIndex can fail to detect that a port imports certain PGs).

If you do think of setting a revision in the PortGroup: how do you propose coping with the fact that dependents may set their own revision, typically after including the PortGroup?

R.