Allowing PortGroups to bump port revision

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sat Jan 13 03:22:34 UTC 2018

On Jan 12, 2018, at 9:13 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
> Unfortunately ports are only re-indexed when their mtime changes, so
> while you could just set revision (or epoch, or some other variable) in
> a PortGroup, that would still not lead to those ports getting reindexed.

We track this variable in portgroups that set it some global location and generate a full index if it has been changed (or take the manual step of generating a full index if we change one of these, since it would still be easier than revbumping all related ports).

IIRC someone wrote a script to automate dependent port revbumps which was the reason why this idea wasn't followed-up on the last time it was discussed.

> We'd have to keep a map from PortGroup to Portfiles that use this
> PortGroup to modify portindex to correctly re-index ports when a
> PortGroup changes; note that this might also take quite long. I can
> imagine changing the GitHub PortGroup would lead to index update times
> of more than 10 minutes. :(

... although I don't think we'd be putting this sort of thing in the GitHub PortGroup ...
--
Daniel J. Luke