Redistributable binaries for 10.5 or 10.6 from C++11 sources

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Jan 13 07:15:17 UTC 2018

Hi.

I would like to build and distribute some poppler-based command-line
utilities (I would compile them with compiler from MacPorts, but
distribute it to users with MacPorts).

I could use either gcc or clang, but what are the options to make that
work for 10.5/10.6?
Can libc++ or libstdc++ be linked with something like
@executable_path/../libl/libstdc++.dylib and then distributed
alongside the binaries? Can lib[std]c++ be built statically (I have an
impression that's not possible on mac)? What consequences would such
packages have for, say, users of 10.13 trying to run such binaries?

If this is not feasible, I would target 10.7, but if it's feasible, I
would optionally try to get it working also for PPC. I'm willing to
spend a bit of extra effort, but I have no experience with
transferring the binaries to a computer without lib[std]c++ libraries
yet. The target audience would be users of any system from the minimum
supported version up to 10.10. There will be another version for those
using a supported system compiled on 10.11.

Thank you,
    Mojca