a no-homepage homepage for ports with dead homepages

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Jan 14 12:42:26 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-14 12:34, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Jan 12 11:12:17, raimue at macports.org wrote:
>> On 2018-01-11 22:22, Jan Stary wrote:
>>> What errors exactly will be "fixed" by that?
>>
>> It documents that the upstream homepage is gone for good. That helps to
>> understand this software is most likely a dead project.
>
> Yes, but why set up a webpage for that?

Well, do you want to include the full text that is no on that wiki page
into base?

The wiki page also allows to update the information and instructions
without shipping new releases, which is good.

>>> It might be useful to display a message when a port without a manpage is
>>> installed, saying something like you put on the page above, but shorter:
>>>
>>> 	$port does not have a manpage.
>>> 	Please let $maintainer know if you know where it is.
>>
>> This could add a lot of clutter,
>
> So, two lines saying "this port does not have a homepage"
> is "clutter", but an extra non-homepage is not?
> How is it not the exact opposite?

I meant that printing this on installation is clutter. The link to the
NoHomepage wiki page would only be in 'port info' as usual.

>> I think the port notes should only contain information
>> relevant to its usage.
>
> Why? No realy: why do you think the port's notes should _not_
> mention that the port does not have a homepage (yet an extra
> non-homepage should be set up to say that)?

Why should users be bothered and actively be informed that a port has no
homepage? Users will not care until they actually want to visit the
project homepage. In most cases there is nothing they or we can do about
it. Therefore I see no reason to include this in the port notes.

Rainer