libjpeg-turbo vs jpeg

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jun 1 21:16:50 UTC 2018

On 2018-6-2 05:18 , Ken Cunningham wrote:
> I have a new game port done, Endless Sky <https://endless-sky.github.io>.
>
> It requires "libjpeg-turbo" rather than “jpeg" and so I came across the
> mess with the conflict with jpeg:

If libjpeg-turbo is API-compatible with jpeg 8, in what sense does this
game require the former?

> <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/38907>
>
> and
>
> <https://libjpeg-turbo.org/About/Jpeg-9>
>
> Homebrew  installs them in parallel, which I guess is all we can
> realistically do given the API9 vs API8 business.
>
> We could do that easily enough. It doesn’t look like libjpeg-turbo can
> be a drop in replacement for jpeg any more as they now have different APIs.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on [ how to / if we should ] try to resolve this?

Switching everything over to using libjpeg-turbo seems fine. Someone
just needs to do the work to change all the dependencies and rev bump
everything that needs it. Making jpeg (and mozjpeg) install to
non-conflicting locations would also be nice, but can be done separately.

- Josh