(Not) deprecating py35 subports

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Jun 3 13:50:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-03 01:37, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2018-6-3 07:28 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> The whole idea of the graveyard was to help users migrate to a newer
>> version automatically, but in case of python it doesn't really serve
>> the purpose if ports get moved to the graveyard at random times (ok,
>> it makes sure that ports don't end up being installed forever, but the
>> replaced_by part is not really all that helpful).
>
> TBH I've never understood the rationale for the -graveyard ports. If
> someone is using python3.3 for a project, removing their modules from
> that python version and installing them for a newer version doesn't help
> them migrate in a smooth manner, it just breaks their project.

There is already a pseudo-port 'obsolete' that matches installed ports
that are not provided by any ports tree configured in sources.conf.

'port outdated' could warn about obsolete ports being installed, as they
are in fact outdated and should be uninstalled. We could also add
another check to 'port reclaim' suggesting to remove these ports. That
would avoid keeping them installed forever without the user noticing.

Rainer