[macports-ports] branch master updated: grep: add new variant to install as ggrep

George Plymale II georgedp at orbitalimpact.com
Wed Jun 27 19:14:07 UTC 2018

Hi again,

So I was working on this and I noticed something about most of the ports
revealed by the aforementioned shell incantation:

port file all | sort -u | xargs grep -El '^[^#]+:grep\W'

I noticed that most of them have build dependencies which are declared
like so:

depends_build   bin:grep:grep

If my understanding of `depends_build' is correct, these ports aren't
really relying on the grep port, right? Since the system /usr/bin/grep
will be found first, the grep port won't even be installed so isn't this
redundant? I feel like I'm missing something here.

There are other ports where I can see the need for adjustment, but most
of them which use the above form don't seem to need any adjustment. I
would appreciate some clarification on this matter from someone who has
some more experience with this.

Thanks,
- George Plymale II