[macports-ports] branch master updated: grep: add new variant to install as ggrep

George Plymale II georgedp at orbitalimpact.com
Sat Jun 30 18:46:25 UTC 2018

Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> writes:

> I do not think this is the way we want to go forward. This also exposes
> all other g* tools and not just grep. I expect this to introduce new
> problems. Some build scripts make assumptions about the userland tools
> and expect BSD syntax when running on macOS.
>
> If we chose to install grep as ggrep by default, why would we even need
> to expose it at all? What problem are you trying to solve here? Are
> there ports that require GNU grep and do not work with the BSD grep at
> /usr/bin/grep?

Not that I know of, no.

> If grep is installed as ggrep, just just remove the dependency on
> bin:grep:grep and be done.

I was inclined to do that initially, but I thought that since Macports
tries to rely on its own ports rather than system alternatives ( as
explained here: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#syslibs ) that we
should try to rely on GNU grep rather than BSD grep. If relying on BSD
grep is okay with everyone here, then I certainly have no qualms about it.