Is adding the py37 subport considered a "minor" change?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Jun 30 23:36:03 UTC 2018

On 2018-7-1 05:59 , Chih-Hsuan Yen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Python 3.7 is out, and I'd like to migrate to that version. As per the
> guide, non-maintainer updates are allowed for minor changes. Is adding
> py37 to a Python port considered a minor change? I tried to look for
> some old talks during the time Python 3.5 and 3.6 were out yet find
> nothing relevant.

It's adding a new port. You need a person's permission to list them as
the maintainer of a port.

And as always, be sure to check that a new port works right before you
add it. The new python version is broadly backward-compatible, but there
are incompatible changes including new keywords. (See py36-readline for
a an example where just adding a '36' to the portfile didn't result in a
working port.)

- Josh