[macports-ports] branch master updated: libcaer: new port

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Mar 1 19:23:36 UTC 2018

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 08:40:51 -0800 Ken Cunningham
<ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
> CI is not sufficient testing to commit, sadly.
>
> There is no xcode 9 in travis at present.
> misses many things, like liscence etc
> doesn't check if destrooting is right
>
> It's OK for a minor version update of an existing port, but all new
> ports or sig updates need to checked out locally, port lint
> nitpicked, looked over carefully, build with trace mode,
> destrooted, and installed before commiting....
>
> and all that will only find 80% of the problems.
>
> The rest show up on the builbots after the commit.

Looking over things carefully seems reasonable. A machine can't
figure out that a Portfile should be written differently.

Having to build locally in several ways seems bad. The purpose of
automatic CI infrastructure is to free people from needing to do
such things, both because it reduces labor and because it reduces
error. The latter is the really important bit. Manual process is
error prone.

Maybe we need more flexible (and less likely to time out) CI than
Travis can give us that includes things like port lint, traced
builds, etc?

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com