sizeof(long) and universal builds

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Mar 2 06:15:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-3-2 08:27 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 1 March 2018 at 20:42, Michael Dickens wrote:
>> In the past, I've handled this situation by using the muniversal PortGroup, so that the sizeof is correct for each build independent of the other. - MLD
>
> I'm aware of that. I was wondering if there was some *proper* solution
> that could allow compiling just once.

Quite a few ports avoid having to use muniversal with a small ed script
that is applied to config.h in post-configure. You could also patch
config.h.in and remove the check from the configure script to avoid the
failure (though I'm not sure why it's failing rather than simply
erroneously producing a single value.)

Examples of the ed script approach: glib2, lzo, flac.

BTW, checking the size of types by compiling a program at configure time
should be avoided in general because it also makes cross-compilation
difficult.

- Josh