request for port create command, to build a portfile from a URL

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:35:50 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-06, at 7:22 AM, G Alexander wrote:

> I like the auto calculate hashes
>
> For grabbing something from url sounds like having a lot of switches,
>
> for archive type and depedencies

I was kinda hoping that the archive type might be figured out from the tail of the URL. All the use_bzip2 yes business if plenty confusing for people. Even the whole idea of master_sites and distnames takes getting used to.

dependencies would have to be manually specified. A basic template could be laid down for them, however, in the generated Portfile.

> what if link is a redirect to cdn, or something like Dropbox or symbolic

some things would have to be manually done, unless AI can sort this out in ways I don't know how to do...