Buildbot idea(s) for GSOC

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Mar 6 21:52:09 UTC 2018

Dear Umesh,

In case we would get any good students in that area, I would be
grateful if someone would work on improving buildbot core & front-end
in close collaboration with mentors directly from buildbot.

I added this one idea on the list, but it needs some polishing:
    https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Buildbotideas

However, in order to attract potential students, we would likely need
to add a few suitable keywords to our "description", like perhaps
"frontend". But we would also need to make it easier for such students
who end up on our site to actually spot such projects without browsing
through the full list.

Buildbot participated in GSOC before, but did not apply this year.
They would be willing to mentor and we really need some features
implemented if we want to go for buildbot 1.0 setup one day. (That
said, I would find it ok even if some project from buildbot mentorship
is not strictly macports-oriented.)

Another project we could put on the list would be figuring out how to
start clean VMs for each build, but that might be tricky and the
student would need to be able to figure that out on his own.
Apparently buildbot supports that for Linux.

Mojca