request for port create command, to build a portfile from a URL

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 11 15:40:25 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-09 20:22, Enrico Maria Crisostomo wrote:
> I pushed to GitHub a skeleton of the idea:
>
>     https://github.com/emcrisostomo/macports-utils
>
> I've moved what I'm using to a new script to see what the end result looked like. If you want to try it, just grab the release tarball here (if you don't have the Autotools installed):
>
>     ./configure && make install
>
> otherwise just clone the repo, bootstrap it and use it:
>
>     ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make install
>
> An example:
>
>     $ port-gen --url https://github.com/emcrisostomo/semver-utils/releases/download/1.1.3/semver-utils-1.1.3.tar.gz

Nice work! Looks already very polished for a prototype.

I think it would be even nicer to just specify the URL to the project
(or to the tag) and it will find the latest distfile to download itself.

However, when we are going to add more templates, lots of options will
be repeated in each of them. If we are later going to change any of
these, we have to do this in all templates. I am not sure how much of a
problem that will be.

Also, such a template approach will never allow to combine different
features, like using github port group for fetching, but the python port
group for building the port.

Rainer