CI system for PR builds

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 14 08:07:38 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-14 04:08, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I was not aware of the existence of GitLab CI, but I haven't done a survey of CI systems, mainly because we already selected one many years ago: Buildbot. The problem, to my mind, was not that of selecting which CI system to use, but the fact that we want to have a virtual machine template that the CI system should clone, boot up, run a job in, and then delete, or even multiple templates, one for each OS version we want to test. I see now that GitLab CI has support for doing that with both VirtualBox and Parallels.
>
> https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/executors/README.html
>
> That's good, and I didn't know that it had that feature. The Xserves running the Buildbot might have room for a couple additional virtual machines, especially after the duplicate 10.6/10.7/10.8 VMs are removed after we switch those users from libstdc++ to libc++. But out Buildbot VMs run on VMware ESXi, so if I were to add builds for PRs to the system, I would of course want to continue using VMware. It might be possible to add support for VMware to GitLab CI, but it is probably just as possible to add it to our Buildbot configuration, and personally I would rather do that and continue to work with the CI system I'm already familiar with than learn a whole new one, and have to remain proficient with both. Adding this to our Buildbot config doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility, but beyond being aware that VMware ESXi has a command line interface by which VMs can be cloned, started, stopped, and deleted, I haven't looked into it.

Buildbot already support VMs via libvirt, which in turn works with many
hypervisors inclusing ESXi.

https://libvirt.org/drivers.html

http://docs.buildbot.net/0.8.12/manual/cfg-buildslaves.html#libvirt
http://docs.buildbot.net/1.1.0/manual/cfg-workers-libvirt.html

> We also have the problem of what exactly to put on the VM templates, and how to keep them updated. Certainly, a VM template would need to contain an installation of macOS, and Xcode, and MacPorts, and Java, and the VMware tools, and the necessary CI software such as Buildbot worker. But one of the reasons why our Buildbot setup is as fast as it is is that each Buildbot worker keeps previously-built ports installed (but inactive). So when someone commits a change to the demeter port, for example, the Buildbot does not have to first build all of demeter's 430 recursive dependencies; it just has to activate them. If we instead clone a VM template that doesn't have any ports installed yet, it will take a lot longer to first install all those dependencies. Best case, all the dependencies are distributable, were already built on the post-commit Buildbot workers and uploaded to the packages server, and so they just need to be downloaded and extracted. Worst case, they aren't distributable and have to be built from source.

Parts of /opt/local/var/macports could be put onto a NFS mounts to make
the distfiles and binary archives persistent. However, we would need to
ensure these files cannot be corrupted by the build, which might be
possible to achieve with union mounts.

Rainer