Buildbot proposal: add custom build properties for order and priority

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Mar 16 10:26:00 UTC 2018

On 15 March 2018 at 05:31, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2018, at 06:01, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> We currently build ports in a somewhat random order (see https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52766). By default, the next build that buildbot starts is the one that was scheduled first. But if multiple builds happened to get scheduled at the same exact time, the order in which they will build is undefined.
>>
>> We can fix this by adding a custom "order" property to each build, and modifying our nextBuild function (mentioned in my previous email) so that it looks not only at the scheduled timestamp but also the order property to decide which build to pick.
>
> Thank you very much, Mojca, for fixing this!
>
> The property got called "priority" and right now the nextBuild function only looks at that, not the timestamp. This is fine, so long as portwatcher waits for all portbuilders to finish, as it currently does.

I semi-forgot about that. We should probably sort by timestamp first.
The question now is how to read the timestamp :)

>> I don't know whether we currently compute the *correct* order (dependencies should build first) but if not that can be tackled later. A predictable incorrect order is better than a random incorrect order.
>
> Thank you very much, Josh, for fixing this!

Thank you very much from me as well.

The variant support from Clemens now needs slight adaptation after
this change. I wanted to test on a local buildbot setup, but I'm not
sure how the newly written function would behave.

https://github.com/macports/mpbb/pull/5

Moca