How to fetch and extract patches in archives?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 18 14:04:39 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-18 13:22, Zero King wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 12:48:59PM +0100, Rainer Müller wrote:
>>>
>>> The main distfile is tar.gz.
>>
>> The debian tarball already contains the full sources. Is there a reason
>> to use the upstream distfile? If w3m upstream at sf.net is dead, just
>> switch to the Debian version that still receives patches.
>
> No, it only contains debian-specific stuff:

I stand corrected. Sorry, seems like I confused it with source RPMs from
other distros and I did not check it.

> [...]
> What is the downside of relying on them? Plus we have distfile mirroring
> now.

I do not know if they keep old versions around indefinitely on
sources.debian.org. For the Git versions, make sure to include a tag or
commit hash in the URL, otherwise the content might change.

Yes, distfile mirroring should ensure they are around whenever needed.

> So we have several solutions:
>
> 1. keep patches in the ports tree. (not ideal, upstream is dead)
> 2. fetch debian/* from github.com/tats/w3m and use a hack for patches.
> 3. use patch_sites sources.debian.org/... salsa.debian.org/...
>
> Any suggestions?

Keeping >800 KB patches in the ports tree is indeed not ideal. But as
long as not all ports do that, it should be okay to do it occasionally.

No strong preference for any of the solutions.

Rainer