Handling trac tickets, and submissions in particular

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Mar 19 14:10:16 UTC 2018

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 21:11:08 +0100 Mojca Miklavec
<mojca at macports.org> wrote:
> Dear Perry,
>
> You are doing an amazing job at keeping the pull request number down
> to a negligible number compared to the number of submitted requests.
>
> Do you have any suggestion how to effectively tackle 409 trac
> tickets with port submissions?
>
> Click "Port submissions" on
>     https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Tickets
>
> In principle all those tickets have Portfiles attached, they are
> just less visible and a bit less convenient to work with (it's not
> just one-click away). Should we ask for help for turning them all
> into pull requests to simplify reviews and testing?

I agree that it's a lot easier dealing with things in Github workflow
than in the Trac ticket system, especially since we have automatic
linting and (sometimes, sadly not always) automated CI builds.

Maybe there's a way we can try to partially automate turning these
(slowly! not all at once!) into PRs? It would be neat if you could
look at something in Trac and click on a button and move it into the
Github workflow for processing for example.

BTW, on the CI build stuff, the more reliably we can get the CI
system to work, the easier it is to prevent accidents when pulling
things. Too much of the time Travis times out, and too much of the
time it fails even though nothing is actually wrong. Recent changes
that display a lot more information directly in the PR have been a
big improvement of course.

It might also be nice to add some things to port lint in order to
make the job of checking over PRs easier. As just one example, a
common issue these days is `maintainer` lines that don't include both
github handle and email address. Another common issue is variable
settings that the user didn't need to set, which might be something
that port lint could catch.

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com