Python default version

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Mar 19 15:09:11 UTC 2018

On 12 March 2018 at 15:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> The python portgroup defaults to version 2.7, and in ports that have python variants, I've used that version by default as well.
>
> I was reminded by the members of the MacPorts meeting that it has been announced that python 2's end-of-life will be in 2020, which is coming up.
>
> Should we change the default python version to 3.6 now, or soon?

What does that change actually mean? Which software could potentially
be affected?

I don't quite understand all the consequences since we are not
installing "python" by default and most of our ports specify python
version in one way or another and also make sure that the "correct"
version of python is being used.

(At the moment we don't even ship any Python 3-compatible solution for
wxWidgets, buildbot etc.)

It could be nice if someone finds a way to list all ports where
something could potentially change if default python version gets
changed.

Mojca