Request for assistance closing some old pull requests

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Mar 19 16:10:52 UTC 2018

On 19 March 2018 at 16:44, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> 1: wine*: add 64-bit support
>    https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/442
>    Apr 22, 2017 (yes, almost a year old)
>
> This PR seems to be stuck on the fact that Wine de facto needs a 64
> bit version to be useful in a modern context, but that macOS is likely
> permanently ABI incompatible with Wine 64.
>
> My proposal here is that we close the PR, and that we remove the Wine
> port as being unmaintainable going forward.

I strongly oppose the idea of removing Wine since that's a wonderful
tool, and Ryan maintains it on regular basis. Or at least we should
not remove it as long as it can be compiled and used, even if in
32-bit mode.

Last time I checked this PR was not entirely complete and from my
understanding that was the only reason why it was not merged. We
certainly need a solution for 64-bit wine in some not-too-distant
future; whether an incomplete patch helps with that, I don't know. We
should certainly keep at least a ticket on Trac with a reference to
the code.

> 2: mosh: Switch to protobuf3-cpp
>    https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/690
>    Aug 17, 2017
>
> Zero King correctly notes in the course of the PR's comment thread
> that protobuf3-cpp conflicts with protobuf-cpp, so all protobuf-cpp
> using ports probably should be migrated.
>
> This seems entirely straightforward to do (I made the needed changes
> in my own git repo in a couple of minutes) but rather difficult to
> test. To close this out, we probably need some volunteer who is in a
> position to test such an update.

Can you please update the PR with your changes (replacing all
dependencies on protobuf-cpp with protobuf3-cpp) or perhaps open a new
one? Travis certainly won't be able to build them all, but the list of
ports to test seems reasonable. Either someone can run destroot, or we
can simply submit the builds to the buildbot and be ready to quickly
patch the failing builds.

You should open something similar for the trac submissions :) :) :)

Mojca