protobuf-cpp (was Re: Request for assistance closing some old pull requests)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Mar 20 16:36:39 UTC 2018

On 20 March 2018 at 16:56, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:46:54 -0500 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> I would prefer that the bug that protobuf-cpp and protobuf3-cpp
>> install to the same place is fixed first:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56102
>>
>> Then there's no reason why the ports can't be updated individually
>> as time permits.
>
> This is beyond my technical capability as I still don't understand
> the MacPorts infrastructure well enough. Could you or someone else
> commit to fixing this? I can then shepherd the updates of the
> individual ports much more easily.

Except, what Ryan did not tell you, making such a change requires
adapting all those ports at once which means that every single port
might need to be adapted in a non-trivial way, which generates even
more work initially (but might be better in the long term if ports
indeed require different versions), in which case you can just as well
switch all of them to version 3 since you need to test all of them
anyway.

If there's an agreement to take this route, we need more work and the
PR can be closed in that case (or not, depending on whether you want
some additional pressure to force people to fix this particular issue
just because that old PR was there).

Mojca