How we announce MacPorts changes (was: Re: Enhance livecheck to check not only version but also checksums)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 20 23:31:35 UTC 2018

On Mar 20, 2018, at 09:20, db wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2018, at 14:54, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-announce/
>> https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/master/ChangeLog
>
> macports-announce seems scant to me.

Intentionally. We only post there when we have something to announce, which is seldom.

> I suggest using a GitHub issue, like Linuxbrew does, https://github.com/Linuxbrew/brew/issues/1, or adding changes/enhancements to macports-announce.

We most certainly should not abuse a GitHub issue as an announcement mailing list, when we already have a real announcement mailing list.

We also have a news feature on our web site, to which users can subscribe via RSS if they prefer that:

https://www.macports.org/news/

Now that we are on GitHub, we also have a change log posted with each release:

https://github.com/macports/macports-base/releases

I feel that the news section of the site and the announce mailing list serve the same purpose. I would like to get to a point where we do not manually write messages to the announce mailing list anymore. Instead, we write a news entry on the web site, and this causes an email to automatically be sent to the announce mailing list with the same content.