Gsoc-Announcements distributed over the ports tree

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 20 23:44:39 UTC 2018

To be honest, I wasn't aware of this GSoC proposal until the emails started showing up on this list recently, so I don't really understand it yet. The entry on the wiki is vague. Could someone give some examples of the types of announcements we're envisioning publishing via this system? We already have the announce mailing list and the news section of the web site for publishing announcements of general interest to the entire MacPorts community. Is this new proposal supposed to be yet a third way to publish the same announcements, or rather different announcements related to specific ports, for which we currently don't offer a solution other than the "notes" variable? If the latter, then I don't see wanting to make it visible on the web site, at least not until we have a redesigned site with individual pages for each port.