Consequences of using MacPorts GCC as a fallback compiler on PowerPC

Kenneth F. Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:59:57 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-23, at 1:44 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Additional question for Ken: if we do (b) and keep using gcc6(?), do
> we then even need any special (buildbot) setup for C++11 builds like
> we plan to do for libc++-based builders?

Once the 10.6 to 10.8 buildbots are configured for libc++ and default to build with clang-5.0 as they will need to be set up to do, the cxx11 1.1 PortGroup will basically be redundant and on it's last legs. It will fall into disuse I believe.

There will be no more failed builds due to c++11, and so nobody will know if a port would have needed to be in the c++11 port group any more. (Also our worries about C11 specs, c++14 specs, and all similar specs will disappear too).

All the compiler blacklisting and whitelisting will also reduce to a fraction of what is currently done.

(Once the compiler of a given OS is old enough to cause troubles, it will be replaced with clang-5.0 as a default.)

Heaven!!

For PPC, you are correct --- if a build fails, we'll blacklist *gcc-4* to force a build with gcc6, and it'll either build, or it won't. There will be no special c++11 handling.

Ken