Gsoc 18 Project | Collect build statistics

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Mar 25 07:29:29 UTC 2018

On 25 March 2018 at 00:42, Vishnu wrote:
> If i take up the project of improving the buildbot or the website.
> would it be considered a different project? Or we both still have to
> compete?

Both :)

> The other student could work on Option B and i could work on Option A
> Because those also sounded interesting.

First of all, any projects will be first and foremost evaluated to see
whether the quality of proposal & and the "proof of competence" of the
student is above the threshold. As Google said, "only OK" proposals
should usually not be accepted, they need to be well above average. In
addition to that, even if we get two excellent proposals we may only
get one slot and then students will "compete" for that single slot no
matter whether the projects are different or not.

But if more than one proposal for the same project meets the quality
standard and if we had enough slots to cover both, it's a complete
waste of resources if two people start coding exactly the same thing
and then we need to throw one of the two works away after the end of
the summer.

If one works on the buildbot side and the other one on the website,
that's OK because the outcome would be a different code serving a
different purpose (even if we have an excellent website with build
statistics, we still hesitate to switch to buildbot 1.x just because
nobody in the team is currently willing to invest time into learning
some new javascript frameworks and figure out how to implement the new
views that we would need; and the code could also be useful as a demo
to other groups who hesitate to switch to 1.1).

If you want to know more about the buildbot idea, you should ask Piere
(CC-ed in my initial reply) and CC this list.

To answer the rest of you question:

I don't mind if one document describes two potential project, but
describing one project well is already time consuming (and keep in
mind that you are running out of time). If you end up writing two bad
proposals instead of one excellent, you are doing yourself a
disservice. (Writing one excellent project and drafting an alternative
should be ok.)

In any case don't wait for the last day to submit your draft because
you won't be able to get any feedback and even if you do get feedback,
you won't have time to improve it later.

Mojca