[macports/macports-ports] py-django2: new port (based on py-django) (#1429)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Mar 25 07:48:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

(from https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1429#issuecomment-375914819)

I just wanted to ask others about opinion about whether or not it
makes sense to keep maintaining multiple versions of django. I cannot
decide which option makes more sense as I don't have sufficient
experience with backward compatibility etc. I only know it's much
better than in rails.

I didn't want to make that decision myself, but then the pressure for
merging came sooner than you replied :)

On 24 March 2018 at 19:32, Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen wrote:

> I'd personally be inclined to just fold Django 2.0 into the py-django port for the py3k versions.
> It should be mostly compatible, and from my understanding the main motivation for the version
> bump was dropping compatibility with Python 2.7.

So making py27-django be at version 1.11 and py36-django at version
2.0? And when 2.1 is released, switch py36-django to version 2.1?
That's certainly fine by me.

> Plus, you have to consider the use-cases for a Django in MacPorts: I doubt very many people
> would be using the port for anything serious, or anything where they require a specific version.
> First of all, macOS just isn't a terribly good platform for web site hosting, and second, venv,
> virtualenv and pipenv offer superior (and popular) solutions for picking and choosing your
> version.

It's perhaps not so useful for hosting the website, but it's certainly
super useful for development. Whether or not different versions are
needed for that, I don't know.

I submitted this port when me and Umesh were experimenting with Django
as a candidate for a new port website.

> Rather, I suspect the port is useful for trying out Django or for documentation —
> in both cases, we should probably offer the newest version, or have a separate port for the LTS release.

My thought was keeping version 1 at LTS and bring version 2 towards
2.2 LTS (which is not yet ready). But again, I don't know how
important those LTS versions are. One option would be to provide the
latest version as described above and wait until users complain that
they want to have some LTS packaged :) :) :)

Some packages like buildbot do require two versions because 0.8 is
something completely different from 1.x. (That said, we could have
packaged buildbot as pyXY-buildbot and then have py27-buildbot use
version 0.8 and py36-buildbot use version 1.x.)

> In my opinion py-django should correspond to the latest version at all times.

Mojca