Questions on port development

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 25 15:14:45 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-25 16:19, macports at parvis.nl wrote:
> I'm working on a port for munin 2 as the current macports version 1.4.7 is of 14 mar 2012.
> The munin-node seems to work fine, the server part requires more testing.

Great! That port is really in the need of an update.

> (1)
>
> I need a port install munin at 2.0.35 buth without a destroot phase.
> Is there a dummy command for destroot.cmd that allows to build without install? exit 1?

For testing, you can run the various port phases separately. Running
'sudo port -v build' would only complete the build phase and you can
examine the results in the work/ directory, which is available via the
work symlink next to the Portfile, or with 'port work'. You can also run
'sudo port destroot' and examine the files that would be installed at
work/destroot/.

> (2)
>
> To prevent clashes with the current macports installation, I think it is best to create a second one.
>
> Guide 2.2.4 Install Multiple MacPorts Copies ( https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.source.multiple ) talks about that. I assume that 2.2.3 Git Install should be done before. confirmation please.

This is usually not required for port development, unless you do not
want to uninstall the existing munin port.

> (3)
>
> If I succeed in making this port, how should I do it?
> - create new port munin2 with no relation to munin @1.4.7
> - make this an upgrade for the current version.

I see no reason to keep 1.x around. On a quick check, most other
distributions are also only providing 2.x.

Rainer