Gsoc

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Mar 25 23:17:24 UTC 2018

Dear Abhishek,

On 25 March 2018 at 22:22, Abhishek Kashyap wrote:
> I think it is not mandatory to submit a patch.

No, it is not mandatory as per GSOC general rules, but individual
organisations have their own criteria to select students.

Plenty of organisations simply ignore any application from students
without a single useful pull request or some other kind of
contribution, plain and simple. (Additionally it's suggested to ignore
any proposals that were not coordinated with the community before.)

> First priority is Best proposals.

No. First priority is to identify exceptional students which will
ideally stick with organisation even after GSOC is over and
potentially mentor other students next year. And not to accept the
students where the risk of failing is too high since that takes away
valuable places from other exceptional students who would do an
awesome job, but don't get the opportunity to do so due to lack of
slots.

A good proposal is just one variable of the equation.
Other things to consider are communication to the community and
evaluation of the student's fitness to complete the task.

Just to give you an idea: last year's student made cca. 300-400
commits in the three months before applying for GSOC.

> A/c to your template there is no need to mention vision

I believe there's a point that says "stretch goals".
And even if there is not, we just asked you to provide them.

> and Gsoc period is from Comunity bonding period to final submission.

No. GSOC started on the 4th of January 2018 when organisations started applying.
We are not asking you to start working 8 hours per day, only to prove
you are fit for the task.

> It is irrelevant to mention the goals after GSOC

Projects without any long-term vision whatsoever have little chances
of surviving.

> because its only about GSOC.

No, it's not just about the money you get from Google.
It's about expanding OpenSource communities.

> As we can contribute anytime.

Exactly.

Mojca