Blacklisting gcc

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Mar 26 08:25:11 UTC 2018

On 26 March 2018 at 02:49, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2018, at 14:37, David B. Evans wrote:
>
>> +# blacklist compilers that do not support C11 (redefinition of typedef ‘GtkSourceTag’ at gtksourceview/gtksourcetag.h:35)
>> +compiler.blacklist  *gcc* {clang < 300}
>
> Please be more specific here, such as "*gcc-3.* *gcc-4.*". Newer versions of gcc do support C11, and a change was already committed to MacPorts base which will let PowerPC systems fall back to gcc6 instead of clang (since clang doesn't work on PowerPC). Other ports may need more-specific blacklists too.

Is there any chance to implement something like
    compiler.blacklist {gcc < 4.7} {macports-clang < 3.7}
?

I find the gcc blacklisting hopeless. Why does one need to manually
blacklist a zillion different gcc compilers with a 99% guarantee to
get it wrong anyway? Our solution so far has been to use *gcc* just
because that was the only way to get it "right" (that is: prevent C++
abi incompatibility with modern gcc and prevent the use of useless gcc
4.0/4.2 to compile C++11 code), at least until we started thinking of
allowing a modern gcc on older systems after all.

Mojca