Mirror size & completeness of binaries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 30 19:28:33 UTC 2018

On Mar 29, 2018, at 10:50, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 29 March 2018 at 16:19, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I do not wish to create separate small and complete mirrors. I wish to keep a single complete mirror at our primary rsync.macports.org server, and leave it up to each individual mirror operator to decide for themselves whether they want to mirror all of it or whether they want to exclude some older systems, and if so which systems they wish to exclude. It is my assumption that it should be easy to specify exclusions in the rsync command. We would update the Mirroring wiki page with those instructions, along with our recommendations for which older OS versions to consider excluding.
>
> Yes, exclusions are possible, but would much easier to do if we had
> the OS on the top dir.

rsync exclusions happen by pattern, so it is no more or less difficult to do with the current arrangement of files than if we change it.

Excluding archives for Snow Leopard and earlier, for example, should be as easy as adding "--exclude '*.darwin_9.*' --exclude '*.darwin_10.*'" to the mirror's rsync command. I haven't tested this yet though.